Below are our top 5 gardening tips for May when the conditions can vary.
Gardening tips for May
- Rotate vegetable crops to help control pests, disease and keep the soil in good condition.
- Now that bloom is past, prune all of your Spring-flowering trees and shrubs – this will force growth and ensure a good bloom next Spring.
- The ground is still soft enough to make weed-pulling easy – keep it up and you will have fewer going to seed.
- Spread compost over the borders, this adds valuable nutrients to the soil and acts as a mulch, to retain moisture and reduce weed growth. Ensure that the soil is moist before adding mulch.
- Spray roses to kill aphids and protect from blackspot.
Need more help and advice? Visit our gardening experts at the garden centre in Berkshire.